You are here: Home / Olympic Games / Facilities / Olympic and Paralympic Village

Olympic and Paralympic Village

Where the stars meet


When the hundreds of delegations arrive in Rio de Janeiro in 2016 with their thousands of athletes and other professionals, their first destination will be Barra da Tijuca. The neighbourhood in Rio was chosen to be the home of the Olympic and Paralympic Village , where the athletes will stay during the competitions. It is where athletes will spend some of their time when they are not competing or training.

It will bring together the most varied group of athletes, with different cultures, religions and languages. The time athletes stay at the Village offers them the opportunity to engage in cultural exchange and indeed, it is a moment when the biggest stars of the sporting world are able to swap stories.

The Olympic Village was delivered in June, 15th to the Rio 2016 Committee. The complex has capacity to host to 17,950 athletes and technical staff at Games time in 3,604 flats. There are 31 buildings and all have adapted units for people with disabilities or little mobility. The doors are wider, showers taller, larger corridors and the lifts have room for two wheelchairs at a time.

The village was included in the public private partnership that enabled the construction of most of the Olympic and Park and thus, did not rely on public funds. Around 18 thousand people worked in the village's construction. In total, 430 thousand cubic metres of concrete were used, which is the equivalent to 215 Olympic standard pools and 43 tons of steel. The infrastructure also includes 360km of piping (sewage, water and gas), 7.5km of wiring and cables, as well as 3,8km of cycle lanes.

In relation to moving around, athletes will not take longer than 50 minutes to get to competition and training areas. For 43% of competitors, the trip will only last 10 minutes, while for the other 57%, they will be 25 minutes away from competition and training venues.



The Olympic Village has been awarded the LEED ND pre-certificate (linked to neighbourhood development). The buildings have 10 thousand m² of green roofs, which reduce the heat and 75 solar power panels for heating the water. In addition, around 85% of the waste generated by the project was reused. A treatment station allows for water used by people to wash their hands and showers, to be reused in toilet seats and irrigation, leading to around 40% savings in consumption.

Expected delivery date: delivered
Type of facilities: new and permanent
Funding organisation: private (financing from the Brazilian Federal Savings Bank)
Amount: R$ 2,909 billion (R$ 2,33 billion construction works + R$ 579 million for the land)
Organisation in charge of delivery: private